incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject [RT] incubation time
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:35:53 GMT
Hi gang!

Some Stats
----------
Taking a look at

     http://incubator.apache.org/projects/

we have 12 projects under incubation (listed as 13 but geronimo info
needs updating). Of these, 6 projects, namely

   AltRMI
   FtpServer
   Lenya
   Depot
   WSRP4J
   XMLBeans

have been incubating for 6 months or more. Of these, 3 projects, namely

   AltRMI
   FtpServer
   Lenya

have been incubating for a year or more. Of the 5 projects which have
successfully incubated so far, the incubation time was

   6 months (JaxMe)
   6 months (jUDDI)
   2 weeks  (MerlinDeveloper)
   +/-5 months? (Tapestry)
   7 months (Geronimo)

For these projects, especially Tapestry (first sub-project ever
incubated) and Geronimo (first TLP ever incubated), a significant time
was probably spent figuring out process as we went along, so these
numbers deserve some downward adjustment to compare them with a project
that would enter incubation today. Geronimo also had some high-profile
legal blah blah to sort out.

Some opinion
------------
Some parts of incubation can take a long time, ie for projects like
SpamAssassin tracking down a hundred people and getting CLAs is a
daunting task.

Other parts of incubation, like verifying license headers and
compatibility, can be done quite quickly, and it worries me when they're
not done after 6 months.

The parts of incubation that are about learning the ropes around apache
and getting CVS migrated, should IMHO not take more than 6 months. Not
that it won't take more time to learn everything there is to know, but
for a project to learn enough to be able to be responsible for itself is
somewhere around 6 months. Possibly less if we're talking about a
subproject, since then people are absorbed into a bigger community of
experienced people anyway.

Leading to the following bold statement:

     Incubation need not take more than 6 months, and probably less if
     destined to become a sub-project. There are more exceptions to this
     rule than can be imagined, but they are basically either
     "legal" reasons or "community" reasons.

So barring pending legal issues, a project that's been in incubation for
more than 6 months is a little worrysome.

Suggestions
None yet. I do think we need to worry a little about incubation "taking
forever". Let's not get too comfortable with these things dragging on
for months. Incubation is "process", and what we should all be doing is
"development".

All IMHO :-D. WDYT?

cheers,

- Leo