incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: Releasing Lenya 1.2
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:46:42 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Ehm, we are not talking aobut exiting incubation, we are talking about
> releasing it.

ah, in that case, from the same document:

----
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases%0A

"As podlings are not yet fully accepted as part of the Apache Software
Foundation, any software releases (including code held in publically
available CVS) made by Podlings will not be endorsed by the ASF.

However, as software releases are an important part of any software
project, they are permitted in certain circumstances, as follows.

Podlings in Incubation SHALL NOT perform any releases of software
without the explicit approval of the Incubator PMC. Such approval SHALL
be given only after the Incubator PMC has followed the process detailed
in (Reference to Charter), and SHALL NOT occur until all source has been
legally transferred to the ASF.

Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
Podling SHALL formally request the Incubator PMC approve such a release.
The request SHALL have the endorsement of the Mentor.

Should the Incubator PMC, in accordance with (Reference to Charter) vote
to approve the request, the Podling MAY perform the release under the
following constraints :

     * the release archive MUST contain the word "incubating" in the
filename; and
     * the release archive MUST contain an Incubation disclaimer (as
described in the previous section), clearly visible in the main
documentation or README file."
----

Which translates to "Stefano and Nicola agree this is a good thing,
lenya peeps ask for release endorsement vote on general@incubator".

IMV, releases are kind-of discouraged.

Why are you not talking about exiting incubation? Lenya's been here for
a year now, hasn't it?

 From looking at the status file, it seems the only thing needing doing
is a legal audit, which needs to happen before a release anyway!

I'd suggest taking care of the legal stuff, updating the status file,
and after that starting two votes: one from the incubator pmc for
graduation, and then one from the cocoon pmc for the release. Cocoon is
probably better able to judge release quality, and it makes a more
exiting press release :-D

cheers!

- Leo