incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: stop CCing the pmc lists
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 16:16:26 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Under no circumstance is it ever appropriate to cc the pmc list
> when talking on a public list.

That's my fault.  I had told Geir to post a "heads up" to the PMC list.  The
reason was as you stated.  No, it isn't where the PMC lives, and yes, all of
the discussion should happen on general@.  But empirically, "heads up"
messages to pmc@ have been generating more response from PMC members.

> It is not necessary to get the "PMC's attention".
> anyone not paying attention to general is considered absent
> from the project until they have more time to get involved.

That seems a reasonable expectation to me, so long as it is a shared
understanding by PMC members.  It is not clear to me that everyone has
shared that understanding in the past, but it is explicitly stated now, and
anyone who has a problem with it should say so.

My guess has been that people have such a high volume of e-mail that they
are actively filtering their messages, and have their mail clients filtering
PMC mail (view now) differently from general@ (view when I have time) mail.
"When I have time" doesn't really work when there is a vote in place, and
I'd rather not deal with someone complaining after the fact that they
object, and didn't see the vote.  On a monthly basis, general@incubator
tends to run between 1 and 5 (rarely) messages per day, so it is not an
excessive amount.

	--- Noel