incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: contributions and CLAs
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 19:52:33 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote on Thursday, May 06, 2004 4:28 AM:

> Justin Mason wrote:
>> Hi incubator folks --
>>
>> I'm one of the PMC and devs on the SpamAssassin project.
>>
>> As we build up towards our first ASF release, we have a few
>> contributions from non-committers in our bugzilla that are ready to
>> be applied, once we know that the submitter's CLA status allows
>> that.  What is the correct procedure here?
>>
>> Should we ask the ASF for details regarding the contributor's CLA? Or
>> should we take an email/bugzilla assertion from the contributor that
>> the CLA has been sent, as enough?
>>
>> I'd tend towards the former, myself ;)
>
> CLAs are not required for each bug fix.  They are required for
> substantial contributors over a period of time, i.e., committers.
>
> The names on the following list that are in italics are the committers
> who have signed CLAs on file:
>
>    http://www.apache.org/~jim/committers.html
>
> The names that are *not* in italics have had their commit privs
> suspended pending receipt of a CLA.

Justin,

In addition to Sam's comments I'd add:

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your case, but if a
non-committer contributes a "significant" piece of code (where
"significant" hasn't really been defined, but most people know it
when they see it), it might be a good idea to get the contributor
to sign and fax in a Software Grant.  See the bottom section of
http://apache.org/licenses/.  This is mostly used when a new
project or subproject is started, but I think it only protects
the ASF more when it is used.

It's also interesting to note that the current ASF license,
"Apache License 2.0" (http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0),
includes text (see paragraph 5) that basically says that any
time someone makes a contribution to Apache, they are implicitly
agreeing to license their contribution under the Apache License.
It's not completely clear to me how enforceable this is, especially
relative to a CLA or Software Grant, but it's in there.

Hope that helps.

Cliff