incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: New Incubee
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:06:38 GMT
welcome!

Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> The plan at the moment is to name the new product "JuiCE".  A question
> to the incubator group - we have researched this name on the web, and
> could not find any other cryptographic software that had this name.
> There are of products on sourceforge - a blog tool [4] and a frontend to
> mpg123 [5] that are both named "juice", but I have to confess to not
> being enough of an expert on these issues to know if this is a problem
> or not.

I believe it is /extremely/ unlikely to be an issue legally (no
certainties in legal stuff, I'm afraid :-D), especially not if you refer
to it as "Apache JuiCE". Those projects may not be so happy with their
name being usurped though -- see the firebird/firefox flamewar as an
example.

> Guideance appreciated.

I'd say: get in touch with the developers of these projects, see what
they think. Common sense applies.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons