incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DrFTPD, ftpserver fork
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:20:48 GMT

Morgan Christiansson wrote:

> Hi, at the request of Rana i'm taking up this issue here at
> incubator-general.
>
> In the summer of 2002 i downloaded Rana's FtpServer code from his
> homepage, which at the time didn't specify a license. To modify it to
> use transfer slaves for all file transfers, making a distributed ftp
> server, which is available at http://drftpd.org/ .
>
> I'm about to release DrFTPD 0.11.0 but would like to clear up the
> licensing of DrFTPD first.
>
> I would prefer using a GPL license, and from what i understand, Rana has
> the copyright to the code and so it the one to ask. He said he had no
> issue with the GPL except license conflicts.

IANAL, and in any case if the below is incorrect others please say so.

If, as it seems, the code in question has all been coded by Rana and he
agrees to license it as GPL, there is no issue.

If there are other coders of that code, and they too agree to license it
as GPL, it still should not be an issue.

In any case, the code that is at Apache is licensed with the Apache
license, which we believe is compatible with the GPL.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

             - verba volant, scripta manent -