incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Elgey <gel...@wedgetail.com>
Subject Apache FTP Server: how to build and run?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:30:40 GMT
G'day,

I've just downloaded Apache FTP server
(ftpserver-with-phoenix-0.9-src.tar.gz), and I'm having troubling
running the server.

There was no top-level README file in the unpacked distribution, so I
was not sure how to proceed. I ran "ant compile dist" to build an
initial distribution [1] [2].

Within this distribution, the top-level README just says to run
"bin/run.sh", so I did, and got the following exception:

Using PHOENIX_HOME:
/local/tmp/ftp-server-with-phoenix-0.9/dist/ftp-server-1.0
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR:
/local/tmp/ftp-server-with-phoenix-0.9/dist/ftp-server-1.0/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      /usr/lib/j2se/1.3
Running Phoenix:

Phoenix 4.0.3

org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
Component named "ftp-server" failed to pass through the Configuration
stage. (Reason:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Stub
class not found: org.apache.ftpserver.remote.RemoteHandler_Stub;

It looks like RMI stub classes are not being generated and/or
compiled, so is there some build or installation step that I am
neglecting?

In fact, is there any reasonable documentation available for building
and running the Apache FTP server?

Cheers,
Geoff

[1] The ftpserver-with-phoenix-0.9.src.tar.gz distribution is missing
some files that are present in the CVS. For example, the build.xml
requires forrest-targets.ent, which is not included.

[2] I had to modify build.xml to defined the "Name" and "name"
properties, both of which I set to "ftp-server".