incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Possible proposal: Catacomb joining the ASF - first steps
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:30:35 GMT
I became involved in the last few months in the Catacomb effort
(http://www.webdav.org/catacomb). For those of you who don't know this
project, it's all about building a mod_dav plugin/provider that, using a
RDBMS as a backend, provides some advanced WebDAV features such as DASL
and DeltaV.

The project started as a UCSC research project but it does have a good
deal of external contributors as well. It's, community wise, still a bit
in its infancy, expecially from the governance POV, but the codebase is
OK, at least as a starting point.

Since when I started working with it, I thought that Catacomb could be a
very good addition for the httpd folks: IMHO it's the typical win-win
situation, where Apache gains knowleadgeble folks in a very important
area as well as a pretty robust codebase with cool features and Catacomb
gets much more visibility (and outside help, and diffusion, and all the
yadda-yadda...).

This said, and after having reached consensus on the Catacomb mailing
list, I've started to consider how to move forward, and this is why I'm
requiring your assistence. The first and foremost question is
understanding whether Catacomb should really undergo the incubation
process: it's a small and pretty straightforward codebase (less than
13000 SLOC) which doesn't really qualify even as a module, being a
"module's module" given the current mod_dav architecture. I'm somehow
wondering, as a starting point, if this could be considered "just" a
simple code donation or if it would be advisable, since it requires
adding a fair bunch of people as committers, to approach it in the
established way, as a fully fledged incubation process.

I'm open to either opportunities, and willing to help the Catacomb
community enter Apache doing all the boring "paperwork" if there is
interest on this side of the fence too. Mind you, I'm not an ASF member,
so I would also like to know if there is someone among you willing to
champion this proposal while counting on my help. Also, please note that
I'm not of course part of the httpd PMC, so if you need some input keep
me in CC (or just discuss it on general@incubator).

Comments?

--
Gianugo Rabellino