incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 05:12:39 GMT
A couple of times on this thread, Berin and others have pointed out that
"regular status reporting" is not all that incubating projects need.  I
think that this is an important point.

The ever-present, never-defined "oversight" term seems to imply more of an
event interface -- "raise issues," "notify PMC," "make sure things happen"
-- than just passive review / reporting.  However you slice it, knowing
when to "jump in" (maybe less and less over time if the mentors are not
active / become inactive in the coding) is key.  That's what we should be
able to count on from the ASF members involved with incubating projects
(mentors, PPMC members, others).

I also agree with Noel's points about not building excessive dependencies
or artificial roles for individual members.  Therefore, IMO what is
required is *multiple* ASF members / experienced committers participating
actively on each of the different PPMCs and some means of tracking who is
looking after what.  As long as we can ensure this, the community (for
successful incubating projects) should naturally be absorbed into the
"strange attractor" of a healthy ASF project and Berin's concerns about
things being missed should be addressed.

Phil