incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Why incubator domain for sites
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:31:55 GMT
** Note: this has nothing to do with Axion (the current context),
** who by all appearances would be eagerly working to graduate.

Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> -- Branding issue --

You are missing the point.  The Incubator IS a brand.  A brand that says
that the project is NOT YET endorsed by the Apache Software Foundation.

> I am afraid "incubator" subdomain would have a big potential
> putting the image as if it were "immatured"/"childish" in
> mind of users.

Thank you for confirming the psychological impact of the incubator domain.
If you are distinguishing based solely upon which domain, you are making the
case for the incubator domain.  It is working as intended.

If a project wants the endorsement of the ASF, they should endeavor to
graduate, and not sit in the Incubator.  Some projects appear to be a bit
too comfortable here, and are not focusing as much as perhaps they could on
the things they need to do to graduate.

	--- Noel