incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: PPMCs and oversight
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:48:07 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> If being on the PPMC is not compulsory for PMC members

I believe that we need to distinguish between the PPMC mailing list and the
PPMC.  Whether or not a PMC member is subscribed to the PPMC mailing list,
all PMC members are on the PPMC.  The key issue is that all issues can then
be addressed within the PPMC, by subscribing all of the PMC members if
necessary, rather than by moving the issue to the PMC list.  I consider it
important to keep all of the project's business within the project's lists.

> If we don't have explicit Mentors... how does it work?

>From my perspective this is part of the PMC's policy set rather than the
PPMC's.
The approaches you outline (designated Mentors and/or a roster of
self-selecting mentors) should be OK, and we can revise them without
revising the PPMC concept, itself, if and as necessary.  The key will be to
ensure oversight.

> Does this make sense?

Absolutely.  :-)  I think we're in good shape.

	--- Noel