incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject RE: PPMCs and oversight
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:05:58 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> For all practical purposes you are the defacto point-man with respect
> to the Directory project.

I was curious, so I looked.  I am far from the only PMC member (or ASF
Member) subscribed (I was also surprised to discover that there are ~40
subscribers)  But although I have no way of knowing how actively others are
following it, Nicola Ken is another Mentor.  As far as I can tell, he has
been actively following the list.

> you are the man they can turn to privaetly, ask questions, seek advice,
> and within which you can provide info based on experince, conections,
> contacts, etc.

Well now, that would bother me if I were the only such person.  No one is
supposed to be "indispensable", especially not a Mentor.

> Your also someone that members of the PMC can turn to and say "hey Noel -
> are things going on over on the directory project?".

And if I'm not around to answer?  Or if there were a problem that needs to
be addressed, do I just get everyone's proxy, effectively?

> That's possible because your defacto accountable.

Well, that's just wrong.  We need to make sure that the PPMC is accountable.
That is not just an important psychological issue.  As I understand it, your
approach would undermine the legal theory underlying the ASF: people act
based upon decisions made by the PMC, and the PMC acts on behalf of the

> lets imagine that conflicts in availble time arise and for some reason
> your out of commission for three months - well, heck - I can jump in do
> your that stuff

Why do you feel the need for a "point-man"?  If you've something to
contribute, DO IT.  *That* is the Apache Way as I understand it.

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message