incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Incubator Reorg
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:35:34 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Ditch the incubator bureaucracy entirely and have the sponsoring member go
> into the community, show them the light and then demonstrate to the PMC or
> governance body (board/members whatever) that the project has a strong
> community and follows the rules and audits the licensing issues.

The Incubator is probably the most dynamic community in terms of trying to
re-invent oversight without bureaucracy.  If the PPMC reorganization is
successful, the Incubator could be considered the first "umbrella" project
that has proper oversight on all of its projects.

> Until the project is accepted, it should not be protected by the
foundation.
> [...] and therefore it shouldn't be divvying out resources to such
projects.

So you would incubate projects on Sourceforge, Codehaus, or wherever, and
drop them full-born into the ASF afterwards.  I don't consider that in the
best interests of the Foundation.  What I do believe is that projects should
probably graduate from the Incubator more quickly than some of them have to
date.  The Incubator should not be a permanent holding place for projects
that aren't clearing up their issues.

	--- Noel