incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matt Liotta <mlio...@montarasoftware.com>
Subject Re: donation of project
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:09:18 GMT
> I am personally very interested in this, having worked on a similar
> project. In any case, it's a very interesting thing for Java in
> general to have such a component opensourced. Because of this, I will
> see to do all I can to help you.

Thanks.

> As for accepting it at Apache, we decide not on technical merits as
> much as we look for a community that will keep driving the development
> effort on it.
>
> In particular, this document may be of help:
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html
>
> If you believe that the proposal is not in line with this as it
> doesn't have a community that can cater for it, feel free to contact
> me directly  to see if we can find the right way to opensource it.

Indeed, the proposal doesn't seem to be inline with the document in two
ways. First, there is no active development community for it. Second,
while the project was originally commercial in nature, we are no longer
doing development on it as it currently suits our needs. That is not to
say that we won't do bug fixes and other maintenance to it, but we just
don't have any active development happening on it anymore.

-Matt