incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: projects incubated by the incubator PMC
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:33:06 GMT
There is no reason for a project to have a final destination until
it has to go somewhere other than incubator, at which point it can
decide whether it wants to be a TLP (calling for a board vote) or
part of an existing project (calling for that project's pmc to vote).
Maybe we should have a six month limit on incubation, where the
result is promote or punt.

We have no way to measure the worthiness of a project before it has
even started, and generally speaking we are MUCH MUCH MUCH better off
if a project gets started in Apache rather than on sourceforge.

I don't care if there is some overlap with Wagon, nor do I care for
any further discussion about which one is better -- if I can't find
some objective criteria for evaluating software, then I obviously
don't need that software. Once I need it, I can figure out for myself
which one is better -- I don't need someone to assume that for me.
It is easier for Apache to support both projects than to arbitrarily
choose between the two.

....Roy