incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: Looking for help from incubation
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:08:59 GMT
At 10:32 AM 12/20/2003 -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> > > Ceki, in our search for a much smoother way to do things, we have
>devised
> > > the concept of a PPMC.  This is an entity under the Incubator PMC that
> > > consists of the Incubator PMC members, the project's committers, and (in
> > > this case) the Logging PMC.  The PPMC incubates the project(s).
>
> > How about if we had a single list: "pmc@logging.apache.org," consisting
> > of at least one Incubator PMC member, all Logging Services
> > PMC members, and developers from the incoming projects to be
> > incubated?
>
>The pmc@logging.apache.org is for your PMC's private discussion, such as
>there need to be.  The logging-ppmc@incubator.apache.org would be
>specifically for issues related to incubation of code intended for the
>Logging project.
>
>Are you just asking, or do you have a problem with the PPMC?  :-)

I was just asking and I have no problem with a practive-PMC or
PPMC. However, I can't think of anything someone would want to say on
the PPMC-logging@incubator but not on PMC@logging and vice versa. In
principle, all the sub-projects of the Logging Services project will
be treated on equal footing. Thus, taking into consideration the
Apache environment and reasonable bounds, I would like to treat them
as equals right from the start.

It seems important to avoid creating a persistent situation where
log4j is perceived as being more important then the other sub-projects
or somehow being "first" among equals. I would like to nip that
perception in the bud by offering de facto equality as soon as possible.

The mission and main idea behind the Logging Services project is to
integrate the various log4* projects under one roof. The Logging
Services PMC mailing list should address all the individuals actively
working toward that goal, including developers of the to-be-incubated
log4* projects currently outside Apache. Noel, if you believe that
having a ppmc-logging@incubator offers advantages over the approach I
just described, then I am happy to follow your lead.

--
Ceki Gülcü