incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:00:37 GMT

On Monday, December 1, 2003, at 08:06 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> <snip>
>> Then we have to prevent such discussions in the future by setting
>> clearer rules. Ideas?
>> Possible addition:
>> "The name should not be a name of a person, geographical entity, of
>> religious nature or generally insulting. Since the definition of
>> 'insulting' can vary from place to place, please post the name on the
>> lists for some time so that others can say if it has problems in some
>> ciltures."
>
> By these guidelines, Jakarta should be renamed.

Not to mention Xerces (definitely a person) and Alexandria (city in
Egypt), Merlin (religious and possibly a person's name), Pluto
(religious and possibly a geographical place, depending on whether you
think planets have geography), and possibly Avalon (possibly a
geographical name for the British Isles AFAIK)

* David Jencks
* Partner
* Core Developers Network
* http://www.coredevelopers.net