incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:33:17 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Now ... why not designate people beforehand to provide corrective action(s)?
> Perhaps for the reasons that Sam is often quiet as a PMC Chair, or Greg is
> very careful about which e-mail address he uses.  Because they have found
> that it *does* make a difference.  Once you designate someone in a role, it
> can be very hard for others to treat them as a peer.  And I would be
> expecially sensitive to that in the Incubator, where we may have a good
> number of new people who may already view PMC members differently from
> themselves.

No - that simply states that we want people who take a formal role very
seriously in those roles.

You could apply the argument above to say we don't want a chair of the
PMC or a chair of the board.  That's not so.  It's simply that they are
filled best (in the case of the ASF) when they are inhabitted by people
who are very careful with the role, and who don't step in until it's
absolutely necessary.  (Definition of Berin's perfect mentor?)

And I *want* people to view the mentor as a very serious role.  I
personlly don't want people in the role who see it as a simple thing
that is done easily, and "hey she'll be right"!.

But - in the interests of moving along - I'm happy to agree to disagree
:>.  I think the requirement for mentors is documented, and whilst it's
not as far as I would like, I believe it is sufficient.

Cheers,
	Berin