incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:13:58 GMT
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

>>> Exactly!
>>
>> So you are saying there should be a single liason for a project, and
>> at the same time an important goal for the project would be to stop
>> talking to/through this liason?
>
> When did liason come into this?

Steve introduced it a few messages back.

> I am confused as to what on earth oversite and assistance has to do
> with liason?

Steve indicated that Noel was filling all three those roles.

>   I am also confused as to why having an identified person would
> restrict others from being involved?

it doesn't. But the point is that the project needs to figure out
what person should be identified to handle a particular thing
themselves. For example, if a project needs a committer added,
someone from a project itself should contact root, not some
mentor/liason/other identified person.

The point is to make projects responsible for themselves from
the start, to the maximum extent possible. That includes the
identifying of persons/groups/etc.

- LSD