incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:55:15 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>
>> Leo Simons wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO, as long as a project still requires a "point man" (or
>>> as long as the PMC still requires such a person in order to
>>> be kept up to date of what is happening in the directory
>>> project), the project is not ready for graduation.
>>
>> Absolutely!  A good test of maturity.  If the mentor is doing
>> absolutely nothing and things are going well, then there is no need
>> for a mentor and quite possibly no need for the project to be in
>> incubation anymore.
>
> Exactly!

So you are saying there should be a single liason for a project, and
at the same time an important goal for the project would be to stop
talking to/through this liason?

Why not have the project do that right away? (Noel already gave
the arguments why we should)

One argument I can think of is the "warm feeling" people may get
when they know someone is watching over them. But that's not a
very good feeling to nurture, as the whole point is people should
watch over themselves. The incubator is not a nanny.

- LSD