incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:27:54 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Look at things from the other way round.  For all practical purposes
> you are the defacto point-man with respect to the Directory project.
> From the point-of-view of people on the directory project you are the
> man they can turn to privaetly, ask questions, seek advice, and within
> which you can provide info based on experince, conections, contacts,
> etc. Your also someone that members of the PMC can turn to and say
> "hey Noel - how are things going on over on the directory project?".
> That's possible because your defacto accountable.  What the role means
> is that members of the incubating project can count on you to do you
> stuff, just as members of the PMC can count on you to do your stuff -
> but lets imagine that conflicts in availble time arise and for some
> reason your out of commission for three months - well, heck - I can
> jump in do your that stuff - the point is that there is a liason, a
> go-between, a recognized "Apache" contact point for all parties -
> someone identified as the point-man.  Someone from Apache ready to say
> "yes" - I'm available and committed on both sides of the equation.

Your assessment of the current situation may be true (I
don't know), but that's not to say this is also the desireable
way for things to happen.

IMHO, as long as a project still requires a "point man" (or
as long as the PMC still requires such a person in order to
be kept up to date of what is happening in the directory
project), the project is not ready for graduation.

A healthy apache project has several people from the
project itself filling the role you describe. I think projects
also need to get the feeling *they* are collectively
responsible for  handling the communication.

cheers!

- LSD