incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:45:06 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> The role of the incubator is to actively oversite projects coming on
>> board.  Unless we have someone we can point to who is doing that
>> active oversite and reporting any issues, then I believe we cannot (as
>> easily) show oversite.
>

> Doesn't work this way. At work, I show that I have oversight if I know
> what is going on and things go smoothly. To know what is going on we
> have status reports (that I'll ask for very soon), and for the latter we
> need more Mentors. Pointing fingers is not our goal, making things
> actually be done instead is.

Not pointing fingers - identifying that there are people meeting a
responsibility.

And I've found that status reports are never sufficient to show active
oversite in a work situation.  If something goes pear shaped, and the
first I know of it is in a report that comes every 3 months, things are
not good.  I like to know there is someone handling a project/situation
who will report back as soon as something comes up that I need to know
about.

> What we do need *identifiable* Mentors that we can reasonably assure are
> following the project. For me, having them (auto)listed on this page [1]
> is enough.

Yes - I think that is the compromise position (I'm not 100% comfortable,
but then that's the definition of compromise :>).

Cheers,
	Berin