incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:27:17 GMT

Berin Lautenbach wrote:
 > However I believe there needs to be a formalisation that there
> is one Incubator PMC member who is ensuring the PPMC is meeting their
> requirements of accountability.

The fact that only one is not enough and more are needed has already
been seen in practice and decided, so it's not up for discussion
anymore. What we know is that we need *at least* one Mentor, but more
are better.

> The role of the incubator is to
> actively oversite projects coming on board.  Unless we have someone we
> can point to who is doing that active oversite and reporting any issues,
> then I believe we cannot (as easily) show oversite.

Doesn't work this way. At work, I show that I have oversight if I know
what is going on and things go smoothly. To know what is going on we
have status reports (that I'll ask for very soon), and for the latter we
need more Mentors. Pointing fingers is not our goal, making things
actually be done instead is.

What we do need *identifiable* Mentors that we can reasonably assure are
following the project. For me, having them (auto)listed on this page [1]
is enough.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html

             - verba volant, scripta manent -