incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:02:44 GMT

Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 12:44:40PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>The role of Mentor is a self-selecting title (eg. anyone wishing to
>>become a Mentor and has the title to be one as described in our policy
>>just adds themselves to the projects/index webpage + the project status
>>page and joins the PPMC and dev lists.
>>
>>This means that we can reasonably be sure that *at least* the Mentors
>>that have listed themselves on the projects/index page are actually
>>following the respective projects.
>
> +1
>
> Who are the set of people who may add themselves to this list?

Apache, Incubator and landing PMC members. Apache members that join
should be made part of the Incubator PMC.

>>This of course does not remove the need to have at least one mentor
>>identified in teh project proposal.
>
> I'd like to see as many as possible, but putting strict requirements
> (like this) only adds unnecessary red tape.

Not at all unnecessary. We must ensure that there is some oversight. Not
having anyone looking over it is a risk. We have already seen that a
single Mentor is too little, not having any is not thinkable.

> In my mind, if a project asks to be released from incubation and
> hasn't shown any participation by any ASFer, then I'm much less
> inclined to vote in favor of release.
 >
>>This should satisfy all needs, of accountability and of easiness to join.
>>
>>I should finally add that we have basically agreed also that the PPMC is
>>made of all PMC members and all the committers+landing PMC members, but
>>that only the mentors must always be subscribed to the ppmc and dev
>>mailing lists.
>
> Yuck, this is terminology overkill. We really need to slow down the
> introduction of new words to our glossary, we're going to make the
> lawyers jealous. :)

:-P Which words? Mentor?

> How about this:
>     The PPMC starts with every Incubator PMC person who wants on
>     the PPMC. New PPMC members are then voted in by the current
>     PPMC members.

Oh, and now this is procedure overkill. ;-)
Let me rewrite:
"
The PPMC is made of all project committers, Incubator PMC members, and
Sponsoring PMC members.

The Incubator PMC and Sponsoring PMC members that closely follow and
participate in the project are called Mentors, and are subscribed to the
project ppms and dev lists.

Other Incubator PMC and Sponsoring PMC members will subscribe and
eventually catch up on issues on these lists when/if the need arises.
"

             - verba volant, scripta manent -