incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: donation of project
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:40:44 GMT
Hi Matt,

Matt Liotta wrote:
 > Nicola wrote:

>> I am personally very interested in this, having worked on a similar
>> project. In any case, it's a very interesting thing for Java in
>> general to have such a component opensourced. Because of this, I will
>> see to do all I can to help you.

+1 (which means "me too" in this context :D)

> Indeed, the proposal doesn't seem to be inline with the document in
> two ways. First, there is no active development community for it.
> Second, while the project was originally commercial in nature, we are
> no longer doing development on it as it currently suits our needs.
> That is not to say that we won't do bug fixes and other maintenance to
> it, but we just don't have any active development happening on it
> anymore.

I suggest you create a zip file/tarball with all the source code,
the apache license in it (and as the header for all the sourcefiles)[1], and
post this somewhere on your company website (don't need to publish
the link). Next, we set up a sourceforge project, or better yet, just use
an existing project there where the code fits (like www.krysalis.org)
and have Nicola put the code up there.

We'll make a little noise around the OSS java community, see if this
attracts some interest, if it has the potential of becoming a real project.
If so, we'll start incubation.

Why not start incubation immediately? IMHO, we need to get a feel
for the code and the people involved with the code first.

cheers,

- Leo Simons

[1] - www.apache.org/LICENSE.txt