incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:43:56 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> Why must it be one person? The entire Incubator PMC is responsible, so
> why should we limit this to one person?

Not saying there should be only one mentor (in fact I would argue
against it).  But I do think it important to have *identified* mentors.

Having said that, I continue to maintain that having an identified
single person as holding overall accountability for something (in this
case the mentor role) is a good thing.  Makes things more likely to
happen.  There can be other mentors as well, but there is one person for
the Incubator PMC to go to.

(But I don't ever expect to win that last one :>)

> I think it's important that there are at least a couple Incubator PMC
> people subscribed to the PPMC mailing lists, but those people *are*
> the "Mentors". If a PPMC has an issue they should send an email and
> also cc: the pmc@incubator.apache.org mailing list.

No - IMO these people are *not* the mentors (or at least this alone does
not make them so).  As a PMC member, I subscribe to PPMC lists to make
sure I understand what is going on, and so that when a question comes up
that needs input/oversite from the Incubator PMC then I can adequately
do my part.

A mentor is a far more active role than that.  The mentors are supposed
to be actively assisting the new project (not just the PPMC!) in getting
into the ASF.

By saying that anyone from the Incubator PMC on the PPMC list is a
mentor for that project, we are loosing sight of what a mentor is
supposed to be.

Of course, being an incubator PMC member in a PPMC list does not
preclude one also being a mentor, it's just that more is necessary.

Cheers,
	Berin