incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 07:36:04 GMT
Actually I see the mentor as being more than just requesting reports.  I
see the mentor as the formal link between the incubating projects and
the ASF.  A guide in the true sense of the word, and a person the ASF
(generally in the form of the Incubator PMC) can hold accountable for
the ongoing progress of incubation.

For example, watching XML-Beans, I believe Ted played an incredibly
useful role at the start in just getting things up and running and in
assisting the project to start up.  To me, that role is too important to
leave as an informal thing.  If it doesn't exist and nobody does it (or
everybody things someone else is doing it), incubation stands a good
chance of failing.

Again - the mentor is the bootstrap.  He/She achieves success by
becoming redundant :>.

But maybe this is my big company (always very desirous of
accountability) background showing through :>.

Cheers,
	Berin