incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 03:59:55 GMT
Noel,

No - I agree :>.

My comments about a mentor is nothing to do with Status files or the
like.  It's all about having one formal link between the current ASF and
the particular project in incubation.

In fact that person doing all the status reports etc. I would see as
counterproductive, for all the reasons you detail below.  But they
should be the person who kicks these things off and helps the PPMC
ensure they start occuring.

The "formal mentor" is not even necessarily a development person, just
someone who is assigned to assist the project get underway, and who is
seen by the INcubator PMC as the person who should be ensuring
everything is happening the way it should.

That is *not* the PPMC.  The purpose of the PPMC is to get a group in
place that will become the PMC on maturation.  The mentor is the person
guiding the PPMC in its role at the start and playing less of a role as
time goes on.  But (IMO) you need someone to formally bootstrap the PPMC
and ensure everything is going properly.

CHeers,
	Berin