incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:39:00 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> The current mechanism assumes that designated Mentors are the ones that
> have decided to be there, and we may assume that is there are enough
> Mentors, they will be there or tell us that they cannot do it anymore.
>
> If we don't have explicit Mentors... how does it work?
>
> MHO is that we don't remove the Mentors as designated now, but that in
> the same time we don't prevent anyone from "mentoring" the project
> without having to necessarily be listed as Mentors. If PMC members want
> to be listed, they just list themselves on the project's index page,
> nothing asked.

My one concern is that at the moment we have a mentor who has been
officially assigned to assist the project in question, who is a single
contact for the new developers in the event of issues and who is the
single person the Incubator PMC can go to to to ask where the project is
and what is going on.  I.e. a single accountable person.

I have this fear that we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I have absolutely no problems with the idea that anyone who wants to can
sit on the PPMC and assist in mentoring (not officially marked as mentor
unless they want to be), but I believe there should be one officially
assigned mentor who is responsible for reporting etc.

No different to the chair of a PMC.

Cheers,
	Berin