incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <...@ispsoft.de>
Subject Re: donation of project
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:18:31 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> Your administrative burden is *much* smaller. For example, by simply
>> registering the project, you get a CVS server, a mailing list system,
>> forums, a bug tracking system and all that stuff automatically.
>

> I'm not sure that I understood the point.  The infrastructure team does all
> of those things for new projects, too.  We have an excellent CVS process,
> and are starting a phased migration to Subversion, which is even better and
> easier.

I agree with you, that the infrastructure team does a good job in
establishing these services. The problem is not so far to get these
services up and running but to find out

- who does these things
- where is it running (links for the docs, etc.)
- what is required to access them (passwords and all that kind of things)
- much more bureaucracy (I accept the requirement for Apache, in contrast
   to sf.net, but fact is: There is.)

On sf.net, you are your projects almighty admin. Features are enabled by
just clicking on a button and so. This is not that I recommend sf.net. It
is simply that I compare what's easier and less work.

Jochen