incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] PPMCs for Incubating Projects
Date Thu, 25 Dec 2003 00:23:40 GMT
Nicola,

I only have one overall thought (and you're going to think it remarkable
picky, especially at this late stage :>).  As an aside - is this on the
wiki somewhere where we can do a bit of wordsmithing (if you don't
object at such a late date :<.  Am also happy to play around once it is
on the site if you would prefer.)

Onto the overall thought - do they have to be "Practice" PMCs?  To me it
sounds very patronsing, although that might just be a culture thing.

On a more serious note however, to me PPMCs are more than practice -
they are the real thing, it's just the Incubator PMC is double checking
everything going on.  By calling them "practice", we are implicitly
giving a message that what they are doing is not real.

Is there a better word?  "Provisional", "Preliminary" or some such?

Again - this is a very late stage.  Feel free to ignore, as I should
have made this comment a long time ago.

Cheers,
	Berin

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Apart from the general agreement on PPMCs, for this particular vote
> instance there has been a +1 from me, one from Noel, on with changes
> from Aaron and a positive comment from Leo.
>
> Thus, and also given the rule we have tacitly agreed upon on the pmc
> list that the votes of this PMC are considered valid of there are not
> objections regardless the number of votes, I consider this vote passed.
>
> Below is what I think is a sufficient summary of what PPMCs are. I'll be
> fixing the site with this info soon. If there are still things to
> change-fix, feel free to say so, they won't invalidate this vote but are
> just fixes that can be done as normal.
>
> = PPMCs =
>
> == Description ==
>
> To make Incubating project learn to govern themselves and govern
> themselves at the same time, each project has a PPMC (a place where to
> practice having a PMC) that works similarly to a PMC but reports to the
> Incubator PMC instead of the board.

The is a construct