incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Re: request for incubation: axion database project
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:33:57 GMT

Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> Hosting the Axion site under
> incubator.apache.org means that Axion will need to set up a different
> site generation and publication process than the one it will use once it
> is part of the DB project.
 > These processes will need to be
> replaced/reworked once Axion is promoted.  This creates a significant
> amount of unnecessary work for the development team.

Not really, AFAIK. You will have to do extra work to integrate in the DB
site, but I don't understand what "significant amount of unnecessary
work" you need to do just to publish under the incubator.

Maybe one thing is not clear: you *don't* have to use Forrest to build
your site. What we request is *just* the publishing of it under the
incubator URL, and using the Incubator logo. If this is too much...

> Similarly,
> navigation of the Axion site will be different when integrated with the
> rest of the Apache DB site.

True, the Incubator version will be a subset of the final one. A very
small disruption IMHO.

> If one of the functions of incubation is to help a project "settle in"
> to its new home, hosting Axion's web site at
> http://incubator.apache.org/ is contrary to this goal--it creates work
> that will have to be undone once the project has graduated.

I have already explained that this, in turn, creates other problems. Our
goal is not only to settle in new projects, but to ensure that projects
that should not proceed do *not* settle in right away.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -