incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: donation of project
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:52:52 GMT

Matt Liotta wrote:

> I am not sure if this the correct place, so if not I would hope someone
> could point me in the correct direction. Additionally, I am not
> subscribed to this list, so please reply directly.
>
> My company is interested in donating a project to the Apache Foundation.
> Specifically, we have created an updated HTML editor kit for Java 1.4
> that supports the latest W3C standards for both HTML and CSS. The JDK
> currently only supports HTML 3 and CSS 1. Additionally, we have created
> a test harness for the editor kit that implements functionality very
> similar to Macromedia Contribute. If nothing else, I believe the editor
> kit as a component by itself will be useful for the Java community at
> large. However, I also believe that the test harness would prove to be a
> good starting point for CMS client.
>
> Let me know about the interest level associated with this proposed
> donation.

I am personally very interested in this, having worked on a similar
project. In any case, it's a very interesting thing for Java in general
to have such a component opensourced. Because of this, I will see to do
all I can to help you.

As for accepting it at Apache, we decide not on technical merits as much
as we look for a community that will keep driving the development effort
on it.

In particular, this document may be of help:
   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

If you believe that the proposal is not in line with this as it doesn't
have a community that can cater for it, feel free to contact me directly
  to see if we can find the right way to opensource it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -