incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New Incubator rules and scope definition (long)
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:03:11 GMT

Greg Stein wrote:
> Just read the first part of the Board resolution which established the
> Incubator:
>
>     WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests
>     of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to
>     establish a Project Management Committee charged with accepting new
>     products into the Foundation, providing guidance and support to help
>     each new product

It says we must help each new product. It seems to me that it talks
about each new software artifact, ie each new distribution.

>     engender their own collaborative community,
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     educating
>     new developers in the philosophy and guidelines for collaborative
>     development as defined by the members of the Foundation, and proposing
>     to the board the promotion of such products to independent PMC status
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     once their community has reached maturity.

It does not talk about putting in an existing PMC.

But wait, here is more:

         RESOLVED, that the Apache Incubator PMC is responsible for
         regularly evaluating products under its purview and making the
         determination in each case of whether the product should be
         abandoned, continue to receive guidance and support, or
         proposed to the board for promotion to full project status as
         part of an existing or new Foundation PMC; a

In particular:

   "full project status as part of an existing ... PMC"

This seems to mean that also "subprojects" should be incubated, contrary
to what is porposed with this vote.

> Individual PMCs should be *very* wary about bringing in code to the ASF.
> There is a grey area between "a hunk of code" and a new "product" (that
> term was used to differentiate between "project" as in PMC). If a PMC
> brings in a product without going through the Incubator, then they are not
> abiding by the wishes of the Board [defined by the construction of the
> Incubator project].

Ok, then the PPMCs should be established also for "subprojects" that
will be in an existing PMC.

Question: doesn't this go contrary to wanting 1Project == 1PMC?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -