incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clearing the air round Incubator and Ruper (was Re: projects incubated by the incubator PMC)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:26:58 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Sander Striker wrote:
>>
>>>There was a discussion on the board list at the end of 2002.  What was
>>>basically the point was that every external codebase would come through
>>>Incubator.  No exceptions (for obvious reasons).  IIRC the conclusion
>>>was that no PMC was to accept new projects on their own anymore.
>
>>Maven is in the process of adding Wagon and other codebases, and they
>>are not passing by the Incubator.  Hence in my proposal all PMC chairs
>>are to be in the Incubator automatically to be able to do IP clearance.
>
> How does that help?  Where is the oversight?

"They are not passing the incubator" is not part of the proposal but
what is actually happening.

The proposal is that all Project Chairs are automatically under this
PMC, and are responsible for telling us that the code is coming in,
documenting it in our CVS with a simple checklist (a stripped-down
version of the one we use for community incubation), and thus leave an
audit trail and have us possibly help in checking.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -