incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Clearing the air round Incubator and Ruper (was Re: projects incubated by the incubator PMC)
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:08:44 GMT

There is some confusion here, I'll try to be clear.

First of all, we are in the process of deciding and clearly documenting
that only TLPs are to be incubated. Why? Because in Apache there are
only TLPs. Thus, Ruper is incubated on the premises that it wants to
become a TLP for artifact handling.

This means that Ruper is being incubated to become a TLP, but not that
it will necessarily become a TLP (nor even that it will exit incubation
successfully). It depends on the Ruper team, on the cooperation with
other teams, and on the board's decision to ratify the project becoming
TL upon incubation exit.

It has been said that Incubator Ruper is duplicating things that Maven
is doing and that Maven should lead instead. While I don't negate that
Ruper could go into Maven (as Jason and Jack have talked about), I'd
like to remember that Maven itself has "duplicated" efforts with Ant,
Gump, and other projects. This has been touted as a sane thing, and I
don't see why it does not hold for Ruper. If Maven can live alongside
Ant, then Ruper can live alongside Maven.

I'd like to remember that cooperation goes both ways per definition.
Jason at least knew that Ruper was coming, said +1 to it, said that
competition was good, and then imported Wagon in Maven.
I cannot see how this can be seen as will to cooperate. Not that I'm
against this, but please don't blame Ruper for it (if there is anything
and anyone to blame at all).

Finally, there are projects in the Incubator that are in a limbo and
that need their status reassessed, and projects that need to exit
incubation. @see the "[PROPOSAL] Incubator Reorg", as I will ask a vote
on it very soon.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -