incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 04:59:00 GMT
On 12/2/03 10:37 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Ted Leung wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/03 10:00 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> Not to mention Xerces (definitely a person) and Alexandria (city in
>>> Egypt), Merlin (religious and possibly a person's name), Pluto
>>> (religious and possibly a geographical place, depending on whether
>>> you think planets have geography), and possibly Avalon (possibly a
>>> geographical name for the British Isles AFAIK)
>>

>> Xerces is a butterfly.  It is not a misspelling of Xerxes (the person)
>>

> According to http://www.xerces.org/Xerces.htm
>
> "The French entomologist Boisduval named the butterfly for King
> Xerxes, but retained the French spelling, Xerces."
>
> [ runs quickly away to put another coat of paint on the bikeshed ]

Just goes to show that you can learn some thing new everyday.  But when
we named Xerces we weren't thinking of the person, we were definitely
thinking of the butterfly.

--
Ted Leung                          Blog: http://www.sauria.com/blog
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42