incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Incubator Reorg
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:35:17 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>>Ditch the incubator bureaucracy entirely and have the sponsoring member go
>>>into the community, show them the light and then demonstrate to the PMC or
>>>governance body (board/members whatever) that the project has a strong
>>>community and follows the rules and audits the licensing issues.
>>
>>This is what should happen here too. Before it exits incubation the
>>above has to happen. No difference here.
>
> Yes there is, as only the interested and involved would be a part, no
> bureaucratic body in the process.

The idea is that the interested and involved would have to be part also
in the Incubator and document what they do so that the next ones can
work also on it, and keep an audit trail. The problem is that many
didn't give a damn about it.

Now things have changed and if you look at our PMC, most are Mentors in
  incubating projects, and we are here because we are interested and
involved.

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html

> If the interested and involved can't be found, the project can't be
> accepted. Very simple.

This is how it is now.

>>So you mean that the actual move to Apache should be done when the
>>project is finally and completely accepted in Apache?
>
> Absolutely.
>
>>Even if the project is in Incubation, and even if I have gone as much as
>>I can towards putting in disclaimers that the project is not finally in
>>Apache, the project is in fact legally already *inside* Apache.
>>
>>I think I know where this is coming from ;-)
>
> No, you think you do.  I argued this same thing FOR tapestry long before
> what you think this is coming from happened.  And I was proven right then
> though the findings of fact were disputed as always. ;-)

Proven right? Of what?

In any case, what you say is something that *does* make sense from a
certain POV, as it keeps Apache clean of misconducts of incubating
projects, while not changing even a bit on the Incubation process stuff
(here, there, it makes no difference).

Thinking...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -