incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 17:04:46 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>I very much like the government model that the ASF board operates on.
>>It does not meddle in PMC decisions.  If the board does not like the way
>>some project is operating - it typically has only one rather blunt
>>instrument to use: disband the PMC.  This has the nice side benefit as
>>it encourages the use of diplomacy over force as typically the only way
>>a vote to disband a PMC would pass is if it presented a clear and
>>present danger to the ASF.
>
> So has the board ever been pleased with the way the incubator is running
> things?
>
> You're on the board Sam, are you still pleased with your decision to support
> the incubator?

Does what I envisioned and what I voted for exactly match what I see
executing in practice?  No.  That's not surprising, as very few of us
can predict the future with unerring accuracy.

Does the incubator PMC present a clear and present danger to the ASF.  No.

What I envisioned was more of a central clearing house for legal
pedigree of donations, coupled with a set of eager ambassadors to go out
and observe and participate in fledgling projects in situo.  Those are
goals I still very much believe in.  And the PPMC proposal goes a long
way towards addressing this.

Put in tangible terms, I would much prefer to see a incubator puruse a
vote of [no] confidence in the Geronimo PPC than to have the incubator
continue to debate the name of the project.

- Sam Ruby