incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:08:26 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote:
> 1) Have the incubator PMC identify a clear set of constraints that apply
> to *all* names.  Vote on them, document them, and move on.

Right. What is our policy?

ATM here is our rule:
"
Make sure that the requested project name does not already exist and
check www.nameprotect.com to be sure that the name is not already
trademarked for an existing software product.
"

A search there shows up this that is mildly related to us: "Advertising
and Business" -> seems ok

This said, it's evident to me that this is not enough.

The only fact that we are discussing such a trivial issue so much is a
*strong* indication that the name must change, or that at least the PPMC
must decide on this in full autonomy.

Then we have to prevent such discussions in the future by setting
clearer rules. Ideas?

Possible addition:

"The name should not be a name of a person, geographical entity, of
religious nature or generally insulting. Since the definition of
'insulting' can vary from place to place, please post the name on the
lists for some time so that others can say if it has problems in some
ciltures."

> 2) Identify the PPMC who gets to name this project - and hold them
> accountable for their decision.

We are not deciding on the name but on the need or not to have a name
change. In case for a name change, this will surely be the case.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -