incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs and oversight
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:52:01 GMT

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:39:51 -0500
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > And I *want* people to view the mentor as a very serious role.
> I want the mentors to take the role seriously, but I do not want the
> mentor's peers on the PPMC to view the mentor as anything other than a
> knowledgeable peer.

Since I introduced the word "MENTOR" here in incubator.apache.org
(also, the word "CHAMPION" :-), I'd like to comment on it.

"Mentoring" Coach should *not* feel the "responsibilities"
of the activities of XYZ. Rather, should have the sense
of the "feelings" of the community dynamism, the way of the
psychological "lift" of the motivations of the developers etc.

Noel, you have much an experience. Berin, you *DO* have.
Stephen, you do have. Aaron, you have. Leo, you have.
And Nicola, we "DO" hope you do have because you are Chair of the PMC.

... such a feeling you can coach the new participants to
apache.org...

I wanted to describe such "expectations" .. to be encapsulized
in the word, "MENTOR". Before we perceive the definitions of the
*responsibilities* of the "MENTOR" role, I'd like to see the
REAL "MENTORING" coach's behaviours. You all can do it. Yay.

I hope your happy new year.

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya Kitahata (tetsuya@apache.org)