incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: projects incubated by the incubator PMC
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:54:09 GMT

> I don't care if there is some overlap with Wagon, nor do I care for
> any further discussion about which one is better -- if I can't find
> some objective criteria for evaluating software, then I obviously
> don't need that software. Once I need it, I can figure out for myself
> which one is better -- I don't need someone to assume that for me.
> It is easier for Apache to support both projects than to arbitrarily
> choose between the two.

Nicely put.

Apache folks have clearly & unemotionally explained to me that some times it
just makes sense for teams to agree to differ, and to work
amicably/respectfully, yet apart. Since we have 2 (at least) code bases with
different approaches to solving the problem, I think this might be just such
a case.

It is frustrating that (in this day and age) there isn't a simple solution
for managing repositories of jars/artefacts, downloading upon demand and
keeping environments healthy. Heck, this stuff isn't rocket science, it just
needs to exist & fit openly into user environments. Two are better than
none...

regards,

Adam