incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Website] Project homepage
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:29:01 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> The process is simple, yes, but it would break all the links to Lenya.
>
> When we started lenya, the rules of the incubator were not there yet, so
> we took lenya closer to the community that it depends on.
>
> Before breaking all the links, I would like to know if the above is just
> a suggestion or a rule that incubated projects have to follow.

We have decided that this is the policy that has to be used for all
projects that still have to setup a website. We have not decided what to
do with current projects, although we would certainly appreciate if
something like this can be done.

As for the implementation of it for projects that already have a site,
Noel's was just an example of what can be done, not of what has to be
done. More sophisticated things can be done with mod_rewrite:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

Practically publishing under the incubator rather than under Cocoon is
really trivial, it just needs to do the CVS update from the incubator
dir on the web server, but the problem is with legacy links, and AFAIK
it can be solved.

What do others think?

I'm personally fine with either solution for projects in the same
situation as Lenya (ie publishing under incubator or current place and
redirecting from the other site), as long as the logo is changed to be
the one of the Incubator Project and not that of the final proposed
destination.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -