incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Incubated project websites
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:37:30 GMT

Guys, I really wanna try and nail this down this time.

To minimize infrastructure work, we had decided on a policy that the
projects get resources done in their final pmc destination, if it's defined.

So if project X goes to the Y PMC, we would have:

   x-dev@y.apache.org
   y-x CVS module
   etc...

If the project would go top-level or has no final destination, it would
go to:

   projects@incubator.apache.org
     or
   x-dev@incubator.apache.org
   incubator-x CVS module
   etc...

The issues that remain is where to publish the project website and how.

Proposal:

1 - every project site sources stay in the project CVS

2 - every project has this URL space where to publish the site:

   http://incubator.apache.org/projectname

3 - every project has an incubation status file under

    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/projectname.html
    (note that this removes the projects/projectname/status.html URL)

4 - every project has eventual extra incubation docs under:

    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/projectname/**

5 - the project sites are published by committing the results in
     the incubator-site CVS under

     incubator-site/build/site/projectname/**

Now to me it seems that all is ok except point 5. Specifically, imagine
that all out projects use Maven for site building, and that all publish
their project reports daily. Then imagine the *loads* of dirs and commit
messages. In this case, oversight == 0. The only use of CVS would be to
keep history and be able to get the site running if it was accidentally
defaced.

Should we disable CVS commit mails for the incubator-site module?
Would the fabulous SVN help in this respect?
Would instead committing tarballs good enough?
What about committing to CVS only the main site and publishing other
reports directly?

Is the above issue a non-issue?
Ideas?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -