incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Multiple Mentors
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:42:34 GMT
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>>
>>> Nicola,
>>>
>>> I suppose the only slight reservation would be who is accountable?
>>> The old "Fred Bloggs is looking after that" can kick in.  I think the
>>> Incubator PMC also wants to be able to hold people accountable for
>>> inubation activities.  Gets harder with multiple people.
>>
>> If the accountable person fails, what can we do? Nothing.
>
> Replace them!

Too late, the bad is done. I want to minimize the possibility of it
happening.

> That's what the board would do to a PMC chair for a PMC
> that was not delivering what the board requires.

Having the PMC ping Mentors regularly is another point that I will have
to get started.

>> Our goal is not to have one person accountable, as we are all
>> "accountable" as PMC members, but to have more eyes and hands working
>> on it that are also on our PMC.
>
> Yes and no.  (My favourite kind of answer.)

:-)

> As far as the board is concerned (which is where the PMC reports) -
> there *is* an accountable person.  The chair of the PMC.  That doesn't
> mean that the entire PMC doesn't get involved in any given issue though.
> As I think Noel said in a later e-mail, this is all a community process.
>
> So - I have no issue at all with having multiple mentors.  Completely
> the opposite - I think it's a good thing.  I'm just not sure it's worth
> making it overly official.

There has already been some confusion whether multiple mentors are even
possible, so I'd like it to be specified.

Furthermore I'd also add that it's better if there is more than one
Mentor, and that it's recommended that all the ones that can become
mentors (given the definition) do so.

> A single "official" mentor with multiple helpers?

Not needed IMHO. From time to time there may be one person that stands
out and feels more "in charge", but IMHO it's not needed to be
formalized, exactly how project leads are not a formal Apache figure but
are nevertheless there.

> As I said in the original post - it's only a slight reservation.  I've
> just always found that if there is some single person who has official
> responsibility for something, it's generally more likely to happen.

The current real results from actual incubations has shown us the
opposite, so I'd prefer that we try this route as it seems better based
on actual happenings.

If you want, go ahead and change our docs based on this, as I see that
there is no strong opposition from Incubator PMC members (rather the
opposite).

As for the fact of having more docs, the HOWTOs, and all that stuff, I
just dropped everything and will be happy to work with the existing
docs. :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -