incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Possible Incubation] Apache Repo
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:02:24 GMT
peter royal wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2003, at 3:59 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> At the end a community vote decides the codebase to adopt or we can as
>> well be left with just one proposal.
>>
>> This is what I had in mind from the beginning; what do you think?
>
> Repo != a codebase. Its just a spec.

repository@apache.org == a spec
Repo == a codebase

> I don't think 'forced convergence' of the various potential
> implementations of that spec is needed..

It's not forced. Repo is just *one* implementation of the spec.

Ruper and Greebo have decided to work together on it.
*If* other developers and codebases want to join, they are free to do so.

To be clear:
*If* Wagon developers decide that they'd like to partecipate, as Jason
vaugly hinted, thay are free to do so.
*If* Wagon developers don't want to partecipate, they are equally free
to do so.

*If* Maven wants to adopt Repo at some point, Maven is free to do so.
*If* Maven doesn't want to adopt Repo at some point, Maven is equally
free to do so.

I hope this is clear enough now.

I personally don't particularly like or even understand this
unwillingness to cooperate without even a preliminary discussion or
tentative, but this is *my* *personal* opinion, and it's widely known.

This has the *same* thing that has come out about Centipede VS Maven,
but I won't be fooled this time into miscommunication ;-)

Last time it happened things went badly wrong, and I *don't* want it
happen again. Hence I want to be clear, that there is *nothing*
*compulsory* about this.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -