incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Possible Incubation] Apache Repo
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2003 08:59:34 GMT
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 16:07, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>What I meant is not about implementation, but about doing things
>>collaboratively rather than in competition.
>
> Hopefully this can start with the repository effort. We've got Ruper,
> Greebo and Wagon (Michal's refactoring of existing artifact code in
> Maven).

It's the first time I hear about Wagon, and I'm happy that you hint it
could partecipate. Could you please expand a bit?

You see, I personally like to think that Ruper is a better starting
point, but as I tried to say before, it's not my intention to have Repo
use Ruper as a compulsory first-start.

Hence what I would like to propose to start the CVS module with

  incubator-repo/
        proposals/version
                 /ruper
                 /wagon
                 /greebo
                 /jjar
        src/
          java/(empty)

and all the developers of these codebases on both the repo-dev (code)
and repository (spec) mailing lists, creating a feedback loop.

They can then, and should IMHO, continue with the development of their
codebases. This will make each other see the codebases of others, and
the CVS committs that fly by, and start making all aware of what code
does what and how.

Then it can happen that they "copy" from each other and get to the same
functionality, or drop their code and help other proposals.

At the end a community vote decides the codebase to adopt or we can as
well be left with just one proposal.

This is what I had in mind from the beginning; what do you think?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -