incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Possible Incubation] Apache Repo
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 14:08:02 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Friday, November 7, 2003, at 11:29 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> It has already been done there, at http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/ .
>
> Wasn't it already done with jjar and whatever the thingy in Maven is
> called?

Not really, it does more... and to some extent less (IIUC it does not
yet use distributed repositories).

I know JJAR quite well, as I have been using it and proposing for quite
some time, and I also had some patches ready, but then we decided to
follow the Maven repository format not to duplicate repositories.

>> The developers of Ruper in the meantime have become Apache committers
>> (two for Gump and one is coming in with JUDDI). The issue here is that
>> Maven already has some code for this, and
>> http://greebo.sourceforge.net/ is partecipating too.
>>
>> If you want to call it "Incubating Ruper and have others join" it's ok
>> for me, as my initial idea is to use Ruper as a starting codebase, and
>> have others add stuff, but I didn't want to make this a prerequisite
>> for a Repo project.
>
> Maybe I should kick a release of jjar out :)

Maybe you should seriously think of putting JJAR on the table and join
both the repository@apache.org and the Repo efforts  :-)

So ok, the Repo project would start with Ruper, Greebo, Maven-fetch, and
JJAR as starting points. I didn't count JJAR in as it has been still for
so long.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -