incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Possible Incubation] Apache Repo
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:04:07 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>There is a discussion going on over at repository@apache.org about the
>>creation of an Apache jar and artifact repository. The discussion is
>>being constructive and is bringing in people from diverse efforts:
>>Maven, Ruper, Greebo, infrastructure@apache.org, and others.
>
>>* Who would like to Sponsor it? board? pmc@incubator?
>
> An ASF Member (you) can sponsor it.  It doesn't take a PMC, unless that fell
> by the wayside somewhere along the way.

It needs a PMC that takes it under it's wings. In this case it seems it
would be the Incubator PMC.

I can Mentor it, but it needs a PMC overseeing it and accepting it.

>>This is a new kind of incubation that I'd like to try. It's not an
>>established project that wants to come to Apache, rather an effort
>>that wants to try and see if it can work, similar to Geronimo but
>>coming mainly from Apache committers.
>
> It doesn't seem different at all.  There are established codebases outside
> of the ASF, e.g., Ruper and Greebo, existing communities around them, and an
> ASF Member (you) interested in sponsoring them into the Incubator.
>
> Given those criteria, it seems reasonable for it to follow the normal
> incubation process.

Hmmm, the different thing is the fact that it's not a single community
and codebase. Other than that, I tend to agree.

> There is no guarantee that it will succeed, but there
> isn't supposed to be one.

Yup, of course.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -