incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:32:09 GMT
On 29 Nov 2003, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Geronimo was an Apache was he not? So it definitley seems odd that we
> can name our whole organization after the people of Geronimo but not
> Geronimo himself (yes, I know the name came from "a patchy server, but
> that's not obvious to anyone most of the time).

For the record, Geronimo was indeed Apache, and was one of the greatest
heroes, in my opinion, of that time, although the US government of the
period certainly didn't share this opinion. This man, essentially
single-handedly, cost the US government hundreds of thousands of dollars
(1911 dollars, at that) to track him down. His few thousand men
outsmarted the tens of thousands of US soldiers and Mexican soldiers
that tracked him for 9 or 10 years. That's pretty impressive. Other
folks worth reading about are Juh and the so-called Apache Kid.

I'm currently reading "Chasing Shadows", by Shelley Bowen Hatfield (no
relation ;-) which is about this time period. Fascinating stuff.

Online information about these folks is sparse, and often innaccurate.

Oh, and strangely enough, another great source of accurate information
is "Fort Apache", starring John Wayne.

</history lesson>

--
Rich Bowen - Rbowen@RCBowen.com